Thursday, June 25, 2009

rain, rain go away come back.... when I'm not going on a mini-trip to Serbia!

Seriously, one and a half weeks of pure and delightful sunshine. Now rain, rain, and more rain. And it's not exactly helping me with my mood today. Especially, as you can imagine, my walk to work in this ran was glorious... only glorious though, if you consider that to mean, sopping wet sneakers and socks, a wet back (because apparently my umbrella isn't designed to do what it's supposed to do, wet hair, and getting splashed by the speeding cars as they hit the puddles in the road (yes, I was somewhat that girl). If it were socially acceptable for me to throw a tantrum at the age of 23... I think I would, but then again, wouldn't we all? I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of it once or twice in my 'young adult' years, yet I might seem like a wacko to the bosniak people.

Work is going ok. I have decided which humanitarian project that I am going to be working on (because we were given a ton of options to dabble in). This project focuses its efforts around motivating high school seniors in the Tuzla Canton Region to continue on to higher education. Right now it stands that 40% of young adults in BiH are unemployed and 49% study outside of BiH, and the enrollment rate for students in BiH universities is only 24%. My role in this project is to brainstorm ideas of how to motivate young teens to go to college. And hey, I figured, well I was a high school senior once (though, I never thought about not going to college and I clearly had the means and privilege to attend), however, I was there once, so I can relate. Also, I figured I could pull out some of my 'pep' from my cheerleading days (hahaha I talk about that as if it were even that long ago!). Any-who, I am pretty interested in this project, so I am hoping to get a lot accomplished with it, and even if I don't, I'm hoping to learn as much as I possibly can about this serious issue.

I realize I need to correct my recent post prior to this one. I am not journeying to Mostar as I had thought earlier in the week, but I am however going to Serbia! That's right, SERBIA! I am really pumped about going over there. To be more precise, Bree, Christina, and I will be taking a bus tomorrow afternoon and traveling to Belgrade!!! The bus ride is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, same as the bus ride to Sarajevo, for the most part. However, we were told that it will not be as windy as that trip, so that's relieving. We are going to be leaving work just a half hour early to ensure that we make our bus on time.

Also, it looks as though the internet issue has come to a dead end. There is an option for us to get, however, I seriously just don't feel like wasting the money when I have internet here at work and I do sporadically have it in the apartment. But if I really needed it, I have an internet cafe across the street, so it just doesn't make sense because I'd be losing money in the long run. But I'm almost at the half way mark of my stay here, so we'll figure something out.

FYI- I am going to try this coming Monday after my day of work at the mental hospital to take my computer into town and try to load my pictures while hopefully getting a better wifi signal. So then hopefully, you will all get to see some pics via here, as well as facebook for those of you who are on it (sorry that I can't put all of my pics on here, but that's just the way life goes, ha).

Alright. I'm going to stop rambling and go back to this gloom and doom of a day. I miss everyone. I'll update the blog asap after I get back from Serbia, aka Monday.

<3 cao

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Your trip is sounding amaazing! Stinks about the internet situation but at least you have been able to get on here. I can't believe y0ou ate pizza with ketchup....but I guess bosnian pizza is a bit different than here pizza.
    Couple of updates: my last day of school was today:) HOORAY! One of the teachers that I befriended ended up being Coach OB's wife! Fara Fawcett and Michael Jackson have passed away yesterday. I know, crazy right? Mark Callahan has officialy graduated from High School. andd....oh yeah most importantly: I miss you like crazy! Now that I don't have to be in bed by 10 for school maybe I'll catch you on skype while you are at work?? I hope you have a great day in SERBIA! try and get those pics up I cant wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete