Wednesday, June 10, 2009

oye

Heyyy....

Ok, so it's Wednesday. Day 2 of work. Not doing too much yet, but we are going to be learning all about exactly what Christina and I will be doing. Apparently, we are going to get lots of opportunities to go out into the field, so I am pretty excited about that. However, today I am not so chipper. I didn't sleep at all last night... and seriously, no joke, I actually didn't sleep....I don't know if it was on account of having taken a nap earlier in the day (which I'm sure played a role) or the fact that I am sleeping on a bed in the kitchen with a crayz fridge and weird bird sounds out in the treees. Hahaha but I am really just having a pity party (insert smiley face), don't let me fool you because it's not as bad as it seems. But I'm still going to have this pity party (smiley).

It is extremely hot and humid here.... I feel like I'm in New York with this weather. It was a little rainy on our walk to work this morning, so here's hoping that it will perk up a bit. Which as I write this I see the sun is shining out of our office window, so that's good.

Our apartment is right across the street from lots of shops and cafes, which is awesome! So after I wrote my last post, Christina, Bree, and I went to this little restaurant and were the 'odd one's out' because we were ordering salads for dinner. Pretty much, the menu here is meat, meat, and more meat. Which is fine, because I love meat.. however, I don't exactly love each meal of my day to include greasy, fattening meats. hahhaha So salads it is! Some good news though, was I was able to scam some free wifi last night, however, it is really inconsistent, which is highly unfortunate. So to answer your question Er, I'm not exactly sure. My boss, Alma, said that we are allowed to skype here at the office, which is awesome... but, I get into work at 8.. we have a social coffee and chai thing for a half hour, and then we check our emails and what not. So basically it will be 2 30 Am your time. Which is fine but it depends on everyones schedules.. but I will try to figure something out with getting to an internet cafe or something. I just need to figure out their hours.

As you can tell.. this time difference thing is difficult, and not exactly easy to get used to. It's weird just starting my day as you all are ending yours...I've been working somewhat on my language. In fact we went to a bakery this morning, that was recommeded to us by Amir to get breakfast. And I was able to purchase and have the lady understand me.. for the most part..hehe. But, I'm not going to lie, as an exciting time as this all is, I am feeling a bit 'home-sick,' still trying to wrap my head around the idea that I will be here for another 7 weeks, it's weird. Not having traveled before, to a country with a pretty extreme language barrier..nevertheless, it is an experience I will never forget, but I still miss home.


Cao

2 comments:

  1. Just keep forging ahead. You know how to do that. When things get difficult or you miss home just do what I always do, take a little ski trip in your mind. Think of sitting at the "beach" at keystone or the mornings we would get there early and have some powder. it always seems to work for me.

    Anyway, I'm sure once your field work kicks in time will be flying by and you'll be in a groove. and once you're in that groove sleep will come easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey baby girl... I tried to call but I must not have the number right; Tried the global number too and did leave you a message.

    Frank is right. Do some of that "imagery" of your favorite places...once you find your comfort zone you will be fine. love you so very much xxoo Send me the number in an email . I don't know what happened...

    ReplyDelete