Tuesday, July 28, 2009

winding down.

Well, it certainly feels like a Tuesday, that's for sure. This week has been pretty good so far and it can only get better! I only have 2 more days of work & then to Dubrovnik I go, to lay on the beach and relax before I head back to USA! This past weekend was pretty eventful, which I wasn't expecting. Friday night, as I mentioned in my last post, the girls and I went with our friend Samira down to the river where there were rappers performing. It was actually a pretty good time and there were a ton of people there! It was pretty crazy.. lots of kids and teens... lots of underage drinking. However, when I asked Samira what the legal age to drink in BiH is, she said it wasn't really enforced. Hmm interesting. It just goes with the statements Alma and Amir have presented to me that under-aged drinking is a serious problem here in BiH... no kidding? However, I think a big part of that is just kids being kids, but that's just me.

Anyway, so the show was great and we got home pretty early. There's only so much rap a person can take... especially when it's in another language. HAHA! I was planning on just laying out at the Salt Lakes, however, Bree's coworker Jennita invited us to her parent's cottage on Saturday! It was adorable! And none of her family members speak any English, so she had to translate, but it was such a great experience and her family were so kind and adorable! Bree and I took a bus (about 30 min outside of Tuzla) and she picked us up from the bus station. Jennita's mom made a ton of food! She had this vegetable soup, these pies with what I think was something similar to a turnip, but it was delicious! And lots of coffee! :D It was so relaxing out there and Bree and I had the greatest and most relaxing time. After we ate, Jennita, her cousin Alma, Bree and I took a walk through the land that they grow all of their crops on. It was such a beautiful walk through nature. And we got to see the area where Jennita's grandmother was born and raised. Now her grandmother lives behind her parent's cottage. She was a great woman. Jennita described her having been 'sick' recently.. which was interesting to me that she used that language, because in first meeting the grandmother you could immediately detect that she had suffered a stroke because she had no control over the right side of her face. She knew we didn't understand the language, but it was funny, she kept talking to us in Bosnian.. that was a bit awkward, haha because Bree and I could only imagine what she was trying to say. But we did get a couple of things, which I was happy about!

We left their home later in the evening and left with a bag full of pears and apples that had been grown on the parents farm! They just kept filling the bag! So thanks to them we have lots of fruit for the rest of the week! :D Then Sunday came and Bree an I just went to the Salt Lakes to relax by the water. I started my 9th book of the summer.. can you believe it?! 9 Books in 8 weeks.. me.. ridiculous. I got a bit sun-burned.. I know, I've already been reprimanded *(hehe love you Frank!)* and I know I should know better. I'm working on it. : ) So all-in-all it was a pretty eventful weekend and very relaxing one too!

Yesterday was my last day working at the hospital. It was a bitter-sweet thing. I am so very glad to have had that experience working there. It was cool, once we were all finished with the groups Dr. Esmina and the rest of the staff took us on a tour of the hospital. It was great to see; kind of sad, but still important. At one point we stopped back in the office for them to show us pictures of a what the psych clinic looked like during the war.. honestly, I would love to see those pictures displayed in a museum.. they were heart-wrenching...The conditions these people had to live in.. was unbelievable. They had taken all of these photos and blown them up, because at the time they used them to petition to get a new building after the war because of the conditions these people were forced to live in. Some of the pictures showed the patients having to eat dinner on the floor because they didn't have proper furniture for them... the walls were water-stained and rusting out.. I wish the rest of the world could see these pictures.

I took this picture in Mostar when I went rafting. I just came upon it when we were walking around Old Town. It means a great deal to me and I wanted to share it with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment