Friday, July 24, 2009

tgif

Well, it's finally Friday. I wasn't sure if it was ever going to get here. Nothing really new going on over here in Tuzla, except that by 5:30pm I will be home in 13 days! :D This week was pretty slow. The hospital was pretty interesting this past Monday. We were actually able to talk with the clients, via translator of course. But it was great because we were just talking about life things and, I don't know it was just nice to have that opportunity to talk to them in a clinical/therapeutic way. I wish I had gotten to spend more time there...

Throughout the rest of the week I was pretty busy at CRP. I completed all of the workshops I put together for students in secondary school. It ended up coming to 5 workshops total and I put together all of the slides with all of the info related to each topic; 1. Looking at schools in Bosnia Heryegovina, 2.Finding Financial Aid, 3.How to produce an effective and strong resume and cover letter, 4. How to prepare for an interview, & 5. Writing a personal statement. Most of these workshops were designed to make the students more confident in their capabilities when applying to college, but I also wanted to reach the kids who were in that in between, of going to university or working first. I was really happy with the way it all turned out! And it was great, yesterday I met with Alma *(not my sup, a different Alma)* and she really loved all of the work that I did and told me that hopefully in the near future they will be able to put all of the info that I gathered into a booklet to provide for the students, aka, these workshops are really going to be implemented into the school systems here!!!! Even though it may not happen right away, it was just great to feel like I contributed something of significance to the organization and to the community, even if it is on a smaller scale, I am entirely satisfied with that and really happy. I still have one more piece of the project to complete (writing letters to a student and to a politician of why they should go to college, or get involved in the program), but I think this will be a pretty easy piece.

A little later today Christina and I have to present our findings on the other workshop that we have been working on (the CPR and first aid trainings in remote villages). It's my sup's last day, hence why we are presenting today. I think that should go very smoothly and quickly. And it's Friday.. so you know what that means.. relaxxxxx. Tonight my co-worker from the hospital, Samira is taking Bree, Christina and me, down to the river where there is going to be a concert. Apparently, this person is a rapper, and he was born and raised here in Tuzla. He started out here in Tuzla, rapping at the very place we are going tonight, and that's how he got his 'stardom.' So this should be interesting...

My plan for the rest of the weekend is to get sun! I am going to be lounging at the salt lakes all weekend and also in town getting some last minute souvenirs and things. Also just preparing for my trip to Dubrovnik, Croatia! I am really pumped about that! The girls and I are going to be taking a direct bus from here this coming Thursday night. The only reason we are cutting out of work a little early is because everyone is going on holiday in the office. Actually, I think there are only going to be like 2 people here in the office all next week too. But yeah so we leave at 9pm Thursday and we should get to Dubrovnik around 6am Friday morning... I know.. a 9 hr bus ride... I booked a room for us at a hostel, but it's really just someone's house that has apartment type rooms off to the side of it and that's how these people make money, off tourists like us :D Needless to say, next Thursday can't come quick enough! Then back to Denverrrrr! :DDDDDDD

No comments:

Post a Comment