Friday, July 3, 2009

apparently, i'm turning over a new leaf...

Yesterday we headed back to Srebrenica to observe more of the re-certification trainings for the volunteers in the surrounding villages. BBBUTTTT before we got there, we took a little detour to Castle ruins, and the castle was built somewhere near 500 years ago!!! It isn't exactly a touristy site, i.e. there were NOOO people there; so it was just 'Uncle Mira' (as we have now adopted this name for Amir), Alma, Christina, and me. It was really awesome! There were these lookouts that looked over the river that separates Bosnia from Serbia! It was fantastic! And even though the castle was in ruins... we went inside & took pics of it! It was really one of the coolest things I've done! And as most of you already know, I am a huge nerd that loves history stuff like this, so I was truly thrilled!

After that we headed to hammer out our duties. Christina and I met with the director of the local health center in Srebrenica, to talk to her about the program and just get some info from her. So that was pretty interesting. Then after that us ladies were heading towards the room where the trainings were going on.... but I just couldn't go back in there. Seriously... it smelled so terrible, I honestly didn't know what to do with myself. And I was not the only one thinking this. We smelled this same thing the day before, and I just couldn't do it again. It was a cross between the most god-awful B.O you have ever smelt and a sweaty, musty, old sock. >YUCK< So instead of going back in the room to just observe, Christina and I took the opportunity to talk to Alma more about the war. And I have to just say that I am so grateful for having Alma as a supervisor. She has been so willing to teach us about what has happened here and share all of the experiences she has endured. I specifically wanted to talk to her about how the war broke out in Tuzla, because apparently it happened in the intersection right outside our building... and she told us the whole story... me being a very visual person, and with Alma's descriptive discussion, I have many images playing over in my head of what was experienced here...

Once our observation time was completed, we headed in to the center of Srebrenica to go to a local restaurant to meet up with one of their colleagues, whom we had met the day prior. While there, I decided to buck up and try some coffee!!! And this wasn't just any ordinary coffee either... it's authentic Bosnian coffee, but it's authenticity actually comes from Turkey, it being Turkish coffee and all. But there's a whole way that it is made and everything. It came out on this copper plate and there was my little cup that looked like it was for an espresso; and then there was this beautifully designed copper cup that looked like it was the size of a double shot glass,which was holding the coffee, and it had a beautiful handle jetting out from the top of it. There were two sugar cubes in my espresso-like cup. Alma instructed me to do it the 'proper' way, which was to take both of the cubes and one by one put them in the copper coffee holder and stir. Then she told me to just pour it into my little cup and drink... but to be careful not to drink the grinds. But when someone tells me not to do something, I became curious so I did it anyway. It wasn't terrible because I knew to make sure to only have a bit, but I wanted to try it, hahaha. That's the stubbornness in me : ) Needless to say, it was really really really good! Seriously, I think Turkish coffee is like me new favorite thing!! hahaha! But seriously!

Then the rest of my day just tapered off and we got home and relaxed. I did go for a walk into town with Bree and did a little bit of shopping for myself! haha :) I found an adorable top that I have been eye-ing for a week now, and then I found a cute dress too! And seeing as my clothes are still drying from when I had to re-wash them because they didn't dry fast enough the first time and the mildewy smell set in.. the shopping was needed!

Well friends, off to Mostar for me this evening! I am super pumped about it! I will be sure to update the blog asap. And again sorry about the pics... facebook apparently hates me or something. hahaha I love you all!!

Cao Cao

No comments:

Post a Comment